How to legalize foreign documents for official use in Bulgaria
- Always a valid option is to certify the documents in the nearest Bulgarian embassy or consulate (NB: honorary consulates cannot attest documents, they have only representative functions).
- You may certify your?documents with a notary public in Bulgaria.
- If the country where you reside is a member to The Hague Convention on Apostilles, you can apostille legalize the documents.
|Signatory states to the Hague convention abolishing the requirement of legalization for foreign public documents:|
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
China (only Hong Kong and Macao)
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sao Tome and Principe
The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
The United States of America
Trinidad and Tobago
- If your country has signed a Legal Aid Agreement with the Republic of Bulgaria, you can attest the set of incorporation documents with the nearest notary public in your country. ?(please note: attesting the documents with a local notary public in your country, the set of incorporation documents need to be further legalized with the Bulgarian Foreign Affairs and incur an extra fee of 50 € per attested document);
|List of countries with which Bulgaria has signed bilateral legal assistance treaties (Legal Aid Agreements) providing for exemption of documents from legalization:|
People’s Democratic Republic of Korea
Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia
The Russian Federation
Syrian Arab Republic
Serbia (as well as Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovenia and Croatia)?
Czech republic (as well as Slovakia)
- N.B. In extreme cases, where due to political instability or another verifiable reason, the applicant is unable to obtain certification from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in his own country (the issuing state of the document), it may be possible for us to arrange the legalization in Bulgaria. The fee, which includes all state and other fees, for the service is EUR 245 for documents issued by states that have embassies in Bulgaria and EUR 480 if there is no Embassy of the issuing country in Bulgaria. Please note that this service will be applied only in extraordinary cases and there is no guarantee that the legalization process can be successfully administered in all cases.
Please note that all company documents need to be signed in blue ink.
The above attestation and legalization procedures apply for the certification of signatures and content on Powers of Attorney for the opening of a company or personal bank account, set of incorporation documents in Bulgaria, VAT registration, accounting & bookkeeping service and many others.??
If you are not sure which method of attestation/ legalization to follow, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Back to Company formation in Bulgaria